Saturday, June 5, 2010

Rila Monestary, Bulgaria

Beautiful place.

































This is the oldest and largest Orthodox monastery in Central Europe.  The original monastery was believed to be founded by the Hermit John of Rila (900s), who lived in a cave 1/2 mile from this monastery.  The monastery was built by the scholars who came to be taught by him.  The existing residential buildings were started in 1816.  In the middle of the inner courtyard is a stone tower, built by the local feudal Sebastocrator Hrelyu in 1334-1335.

This is the stone tower -built 1300s.










































The monks lived in small little cubicles inside these walls.  Today there are only about 9 who actually live there, but it is built for some 300 men, who lived mostly in silence.  (What kind of a life is THAT???). 



















These are ceilings in the exterior porches.










































Now comes the "good" part -- a new type of Sunday School.

These pictures are next to the ground -- perfect size for children.  Here's what everyone should teach their children - -   If you gossip, the devils will get you . . .



















If you cheat your neighbor, they'll get you as well, and they'll tie you up with  . . . snakes!!!



















If you steal, you go to . . . you know where.



















Extremely depressing.  No wonder there are so many atheists.  I would be an antheist if my parents had taught me this way!  In truth, our guide, Evgeny Georgiev told us what those pictures really illustrated but I didn't write it down, so I had to guess.  But I'm not far off.  However, the next one I have the translation of the actual words that are written in the pictures.



"Magicians and healers are servants of the devil. That's why the devil rejoices greatly, jumps around, and dances in front of people who come to them. And what they [the healers] give them to drink and eat is devils' filth. Those who abandon God, the laws, and the church, and go to the healers, are servants not of God, but of the devil."

Take a careful look at the pictures.  Imagine if you were an impressionable child and you were taught that  there are horned creatures hanging around you, ready to pounce at the slightest misdeed!  Think of the nightmares!

Here is closeup of the stone work.  Very unique to this part of the world.



















On a more uplifting note, it was a beautiful day.  Very green.











































Here's the family who took us -- Bulgarians.   A very great family.  He is a judge and speaks excellent English, she works and speaks very good German.  We like them very much.  They have year old child they left with her mom. 

On another topic, a sad moment occurred for us.  One of the brother sponges committed suicide.  It was very quick and quite painless.  We honored him with a nano-second of silence.  I think he did it for Jacquie who was quite concerned about his germ content.

We bravely plug on . . .

Next stop -- Florence!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Those photos are amazing-I like the flying devils-not that I'd want one buzzing around me, but they are kinda cute in a bat-ish kind of way.

    I'm sorry to hear about the sponge, he probably had a staph infection. Time to spring for a new set!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a place! Where is that monastery - Burgaria? Jacquie is hoping someone will murder the other sponge so he can join his brother in paradise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are some really cool pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really impressed about the ceiling paintings they look so good for being outside. How do they keep them in such condition?

    On a side note, I almost thought about shedding a tear or even feeling a bit of sadness when I learned the sponge went to mold heaven but, then I blinked and the beginning of the feelings disappeared. Oh, well. Perhaps next time.

    ReplyDelete