The Barber of Seville is incredibly fantastic! It was written by Rossini, 1792-1868, the composer of 39 operas as well as a bunch of other stuff. He normally wrote two operas a year but on occasion, he wrote more.
He finally exhausted himself and retired with $1.5 million dollars in his bank account - this was in the 1850s, mind you.
It is said that the music for "The Barber of Seville" was composed in 3 weeks! Hard to believe! I am just including a bit of the solos, but the duets/trios/group songs were incredible.
We are going to a very old Bulgarian city tomorrow, Plovdiv, where the judge will do his "spit in the ocean" effort to encourage judges in a one-hour PowerPoint presentation to adopt non-corrupt practices. He is finding judicial "bright lights" who are not afraid to step up and lead out. These people are intelligent, courageous individuals who are beginning to make a difference, but it is a long journey.
Overall progress in the rule of law in this country is principally due to a government who was elected on an anti-corruption platform. Fortunately, Appelate Court Judge Cliff Wallace happened in at the right time, recommended Stuart for the job, and here we are!
And Susan braved the hair dressers on Friday of this week. She walked out of the salon with BLACK hair! I screamed (a small scream) every time I looked in the mirror for a couple of days. I made two unsuccessful attempts to "fix" the color which made it worse.
However, my really terrific hairdresser fixed it just fine on Monday. So I am a MAJOR fan of Boby, my Bulgarian hair dresser.
Next blog: Plovdiv
Friday, April 16, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh come on! Where are the pictures of the hair! This is bad blog etiquette. You can't be such a tease...
ReplyDeleteUm, yeah, I had a LONG conversation with you yesterday and there was no mention of hair in that entire thing. Not one. Very suspicious.
ReplyDelete